Sunday, May 31, 2015

Newport Marathon

We headed for Newport on May 29th and stayed the night there.  We stopped and picked up some spaghetti at a restaurant in Corvallis on our way.  The Marathon was on May 30th at 7am. I was super nervous and trying to just remember that I had done all the training I needed and now just needed to run.  In the weeks before the race I had been struggling with my long runs.  I had a lot of self doubt and was feeling like I couldn't fuel my body properly.  I would always feel completely exhausted at about 17 or 18 miles.  I decided to run the first few miles a bit slower than pace, and try to end faster than I started.  That failed completely.  I started off sticking to pace just fine and had to stop once around mile 14 or so to go to the bathroom.  I ended up carrying my gels in my hand because they were bouncing weird in my pocket, and that was bad too.  At about 16 I was slowing off pace and then it just went downhill.  I allowed myself to walk after water stops, I felt like I was going to throw up and that was an unusual feeling for me while running.  Natasha ran the last couple of miles with me and I walked quite a bit and was moving along at a snails pace.  I think the 4 hour pace group passed us with around 2 miles to go and I thought that if we stayed with them I could still be under 4 but instead I ran so slow that my time ended up 4:09.  I was super disappointed in myself, but still utterly exhausted and felt like complete crap afterward.  I just wanted to sleep for days.  I also feel like because I was trying to qualify for Boston, but instead ran so terribly that it sent me into a few months of depression.  Ridiculous I know -- because it is just a race -- but it was pretty bad.

No - 385
Division - F35-39
Place Overall - 315
Division Place - 29/84
Female Place 128/406
Time - 4:09
Pace 9:31



These pictures were taken after the race

I did have the cutest cheering squad out along the course



No comments: